Monday, April 1, 2013

The Price of Telling the Truth - Publicly


Ever since I started speaking publicly about personal things that I’ve experienced throughout my life, I’ve received many hate filled emails, facebook messages, tweets and even sometimes phone calls. The truth is though, these hateful messages from anonymous people were by no means a match against the love and support that I’ve received from many others. I’ve said this on more than one occasion and I truly believe it, “my friends are more powerful than my enemies”. The love and support that has come my way from so many people, people who weren’t afraid to use their real names, and in some cases couldn’t use their real name because of various reasons, was something that I never thought would be possible years ago when I was alone and without hope.

On the other hand, very rarely have I ever received a hateful message from someone using their real name, email address, facebook account or even twitter handle. It amazes me how easy it is for people to hide behind a computer screen and spew words of venom, words of hate, words of intolerance, but mostly, words of a coward.

While generally I refuse to give these poor excuses for human beings any sort of voice or platform within the context of my writing and activism, I think it’s extremely important to show others who are contemplating sharing their stories publicly that, while the haters are gonna hate, the fanatics will continue to be fanatics no matter what you tell them, and the trolls hiding behind fake Facebook profiles and Twitter handles will try to destroy your light, your supporters will always outnumber them. This experience is something that I know to be true for me, and I know that it’s true for many of the other people that I’ve had the privilege of working and being in the public eye with.

Lately, there hasn’t been a day that’s gone by in which I haven’t come across a really hateful message or email directed at me. Since my abuser was recently arrested in Israel, these messages seemed to increase and become even more vile, yet instead of wanting to go and drop dead like many of these people wished I would, I feel even more empowered to continue fighting for the truth, for justice, and for accountability.

What makes this difficult is the way these hateful messages affect the people who I love and care about, the people who did not decide to be public about their lives, most of these people are my family members, my siblings and my parents. A few individuals have had the audacity to take shots at my parents, my siblings, my other relatives and even some of my friends by spreading lies and untrue alleged "facts" about my family. Once again I find it absolutely unbelievable how far people would go just to spread the opposite of love and hope, yet these individuals don’t have the courage to at least use their real names while spewing their intolerant and idiotic choices for words.

The price of telling the truth is not and will never be something I ever regret paying. The truth has always been the most powerful guiding force in my life; the truth is something that I believe is worth fighting for no matter what the consequences are. And the reality is, the price of telling a lie is much higher than that of telling the truth.

So let the haters hate, let the trolls spew their comments and theories about us, but remember that by standing tall and telling the truth no matter how many people don’t like it, is something that you’ll never regret, I promise you.

#Keepgivingthemhopeforever

5 comments:

  1. Only a deluded, idiotic coward would actually think that you'd stop bein' about it and living your life as testimony to the TRUTH. Much love to you, Chaim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May you go from strength to strength, Chaim. It sounds like you have a pretty good attitude about the hatred. May it not distract you from your work and your writing. I've been missing your beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for standing up for truth and hope! Your post is inspiring to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Chaim,
    I just discovered your blog, and I'm so deeply inspired by your honesty and courage to speak your truth. I want you to know that reading your writing is giving me the confidence I need to share my own story. May we have strength in numbers. Blessings to you.
    Shira

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for standing for the truth. Your publish is inspiring to many of us. You are truly right that our friends are stronger than our enemies. We are blessed to have friends like that. medford oregon attorneys

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post any comment or questions. Negative commentary that does not serve a useful purpose will be deleted.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.